Anesthesia Pre-Surgical Instructions
Day of Surgery
• Bathe or shower with soap and water.
• No makeup (cosmetics), aerosol sprays, perfumes, or skin creams.
• Roll-on or stick deodorant is acceptable.
• DO NOT drink alcohol 24 hours prior to your surgery.
• Avoid smoking after midnight.
• You must arrange for someone to bring you home after your surgery. A cab or bus will NOT be acceptable. Please arrange for someone to stay with you for the next 24 hours.
• If you are to be admitted, bring a small bag containing pajamas, robe, slippers, and toiletries.
• A legal guardian must accompany minors. If other than a parent, please bring proof of legal guardianship.
• If any feeling of illness comes up (cold, sore throat, nausea, vomiting, fever, or flu), promptly notify your physician.
• Do not remove your armband, regarding blood work. You must be wearing the armband the day of surgery.
• You need to arrive 2 hours prior to your scheduled surgery time.
• Unless otherwise instructed by your physician or anesthesiologist:
Do not eat any solid food after midnight.
You may have clear liquids (water, apple juice, black coffee/tea) up to 5 hours prior to your arrival at the hospital.
• You may take your Thyroid medication with a sip of water on the morning of your surgery. Consult with your physician if you have any questions regarding other medications.
• Bring the list of medication and dosages with you to the hospital.
• As directed, please : Per Instructions provided day before surgery by Dr. Lackore
• All jewelry (rings, earrings, and body piercings) must be removed prior to going into the operating room. It may be necessary to cut rings if you are unable to remove them.
• If you wear glasses, contact lenses or dentures, they must be removed prior to going to the operating room. Please bring a case for your glasses or contacts.
Items to Bring with You
• Please bring all appropriate Insurance cards and forms with you when you come to the hospital.
This is an alternate number for the Outpatient Surgery Nurses. You would call this number the night before or the morning of your procedure if you have any questions, or if your delayed for some reason the morning of your surgery, such as stuck in traffic, or you have a flat tire etc.. The number is 757-395-8169. The nurses should be calling you in the afternoon or evening prior to your surgery.
Please leave all jewelry and other valuable at home as we will not be responsible for them. Do bring a form of payment (check or credit card) if a copay is indicated. Also, please stop at the front desk, on your immediate left as you enter the Patient Service Center, to register or receive any additional instructions.