THE BEST METHOD – is the one that:
You will use consistently
Is comfortable for you and your partner
With no troublesome side effects for you.
Long acting methods: (Copper IUD, Hormonal IUD, or Nexplanon) are about 20 times more effective at preventing pregnancy than birth control pills, patches or rings.
Furthermore Long acting methods have much higher continuation rates after 2 years use (about 78%) than the birth control pill type methods (about 41%).
- How effective is the method?
- Will I remember to use it?
- Must I use/take it every day?
- Is it reversible?
- How quickly Is pregnancy possible after stopping?
- Will it cause more or less menstrual flow?
- What are side effects / complications?
- Is it expensive?
- Does it partly protect against STDs?
All methods have benefits and risks. You must balance these for each method and choose the one that you will be able to use reliably.
Barrier Methods – summary regarding Condoms, Diaphragms etc.
Barrier Methods of Contraception
Implants, Injections, Rings, and Patches
(Hormonal Birth Control Options)
Nexplanon – 3 year implant
DepoProvera – The Birth Control Shot
NuvaRing – Single month Intravaginal contraceptive ring
Annovera – NEW! reusable monthly ring lasts for 12 months.